Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Across America by Bicycle/Alice and Bobbi's Summer on Wheels


I just finished a 2010 book about 3,600 mile cross country ride from Oregon to Maine by two retirees. The authors Alice Honeywell and Bobbi Montgomery did not mention the year of their trip anywhere in the narrative, but I finally figured out it was 2003. The book's tone gave it away: old fashioned with a lot of comments about safety on the road. They followed an Adventure Cycling route, which even back in 2003 was hardly unknown. Still, they carried bear spray and seriously considered taking a firearm along. Apparently one woman talked the other out of the gun idea. Good for her.

I wouldn't even think of packing either item on any of my solo riding. The bear spray would have been next to useless, unless one of the riders always carried it in an easy-to-reach pocket at all times. Digging around in a handlebar bag when dealing with a charging bear? Don't even think you'd have the presence of mind to make it work. Also, I've read somewhere that bear spray can act as an attractant, not a deterrent. Hmm. Neither of these women were from the western US, so perhaps they can be forgiven for not knowing how useless having bear spray really was.

And, as for a firearm idea, well, why the hell go down that road? It troubled me as I turned the pages to keep reading about how many people asked these gals if they were afraid, and several sections of the book do attest to these riders' unease with some of the strangers they met. Yet, the writers have nothing but praise about nearly everyone they met along the way: all the 'trail angels' who offered advice, company, a car or truck ride over a tough section, a seat at their table, or a free bed for the night.

Hmm. I rode in France, alone, this past summer, and the idea of packing any sort of weaponry did not cross my mind for one second. You don't have to naive, thinking everyone you meet is going to be perfect, and you need to be street smart, but I doubt I'd ever offer any assistance to rider I met that I thought was packing heat along with their bike tools.

I put this paranoia down to the timing of the trip. 2003 wasn't all that long after September 11, 2001, and the whole country was still on edge. Thank goodness those days are behind us.

I am leaving next week for Australia to spend Christmas with my mother. After that, I'm off to New Zealand for a little over 2 months to do some more riding, on my folding bike. The only challenging wildlife I expect to meet are the crafty kea parrots, and they tend to hang out in the mountains. I will be packing my commonsense, and leaving the weaponry at home.

I've been doing some test riding with a loaded bike. The photo is of William the Conqueror and the kit I'm planning to take.

I'll write about the proposed route in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment