Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Monday, June 10, 2013

A Parting Nod to Hamburg

It's been a curious trip so far, visiting places not on my original tourist itinerary. The Hamburgers (can this really be a word) are well aware that their city isn't on the Tourism A-List, at least for non-Germans, but they're making the most of what they do have.
I walked by both St Katherinen and St Michaels this morning, impressive red brick Protestant Churches with Baroque touches. There's an enormous statue of Martin Luther outside St Michael's.
He was active in this region and I'm wondering if a trip to Wittenberg is worth it. I know a little about the Reformation, but generally am very skeptical of all religions that say they are the true path, and stand back as their adherents decide to educate the unbelievers though massacre. Catholics the same.
I'm with John Lennon all the way on this one: imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment