Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Monday, June 10, 2013

Under the Brandenburg Gate

Here's the four horses pulling the Goddess of Victory in her chariot, at the
start of Unter den Linden, except there aren't any trees. It sure is a grand boulevard though, and there's plenty of construction going on near the state opera house.
I had to wait until I was having dinner, incongruously, at Hofbrau Munchen, "ein stuck Bayern I'm Herzen der Hauptstadt", near the hostel that will be my home for the next 7 days, before I started reading my guidebook.
I had no idea the place I'd decided to stay in (from the Lonely Planet Guide to Berlin) was so close to the museum island and a bunch of the other things i plan to see here.
This is the heart of old East Germany, with the American Embassy in a superb location practically the first big building on the left as you walk through the Brandenburg Gate. And not too far down, on street left, is, wait for it: Starbucks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment