Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wer weiter liest, wird erschossen

I'm not sure exactly what this exhibition title means, as I don't have wifi to roughly translate it as I write this, in a cafe inside the lobby of Humbolt University, on the square opposite the state opera house where the Nazis burned unacceptable books from the State Library, what this building was in May 1933. Humboldt has an historical display in the lobby about the meaning of the event to Humboldt, whose teachers and students were both implicated and ostracised during the book burning.
It's interesting to see how the Germans are trying to understand how and why it happens, and, of course, continues to happen.
I'm a teacher and a librarian so this historical event is particularly troubling.
I guess the Germans really understand the idea that "those who don't understand history are bound to repeat it." I think it's the best response.
Tonight I get to tour the dome of the Bundestag at 9:30pm. Another historically symbolic place to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment