Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Sunday, May 12, 2024

Reflection Lakes (I’ll say!)

This late season trip, just before the official winter camping season ends (May 15), was full of excitement. No aurora borealis, but a star studded night sky that I could barely enjoy as it was cold, and I've had "the stumbles" on this trip. I knocked my camp stove over this morning and killed it, barely missing a shoe being used as a windbreak being filled with steaming ramen noodles. Despite 2 ground sheets the tent floor still got damp and I need more clothes with enough coverage for my back when I roll around inside the sleeping bag liner inside my down bag. I managed to pitch my tent over the book I'd bought to read, and should have packed the frame that I use to turn an air mattress into a seat. Still I remembered the foam kneeling pad, could have managed with only microspikes as the entire walk bar camping was on melted out Stevens Canyon Road, had plenty of fuel, and adequate clothes. I a couple of days I'll have forgotten all about the discomforts and remember only just what a kick it is to know how to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment