Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Friday, October 29, 2010

Seattle Bike Polo














Despite today's forecast for showers and cool temps, the weather turned out sunny, perfect for a fall ride. I was walking my bike through the Ballard Locks this evening, when I saw this curious pair, leaning against the wall that overlooks the fish ladder.

Took me a while, but I figured it out: bike polo! This Halloween weekend there's an event in Seattle: the Emerald City Open.

Here's an excerpt from a Sept 13 post on the Seattle Bike Polo website:

"...Seattle was the birthplace of hardcourt bike polo (as opposed to traditional, grass-field polo, developed in Ireland in 1891). About 35 people currently play in Seattle, and a team from the city placed fourth in the National Championships in Madison, Wisconsin this year.”

Who knew? The event in Judkins Park tomorrow and Sunday sounds wild, crazy and fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment