Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Monday, October 30, 2023

Sunday mass at Templio di Porta Coeli

I checked into a church near the Palacio Nacional, where I found the congregation to be all concheros in costume, plenty of incense and Byzantine like mosaics of Mary, along with 2 black Christs, including the one that was hanging in the metropolitan cathedral until ? And now replaced with a black and white paper cutout. So Christ of the poison is back in the church it came from. Everyone including the priest was indigenous, and I stuck around for the short process of the priest and chalice, into the street then back inside, accompanied by concheros playing their guitars decorated with armadillo skins. I suspect I'm seeing here, in real time, the continued integration of Christianity with Aztec paganism.

No comments:

Post a Comment