Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Monday, October 10, 2011

On the Road Again

The job I moved to Adelaide to take ended last week. Such is life.

I'm boxing up my belongings, ending my lease, shipping what I can, including Sir Gulliver to touring bike to Queensland, where he can live in a friend's garage for a month or so, and going on the road as a backpacker once more.

Despite the fact that I just cancelled my registration for the Tour Down Under day ride in January 2012,I know that Adelaide is pretty good for cyclists. As I won't be here to meet Eddy Merxcyx, or catch a glimpse of Cadel Evans during the Tour, I'm cutting my losses. There are many places to ride, and I won't miss the motoriststs and bus drivers here who straddle the bike lane. Share the Road isn't fully embedded in the car crazy culture here. It will take a few more years I suppose. But it is better.

In spite of my shoulder, I managed to start bike commuting, moving to 5 days/week in August, after a such a tentative start back in July. I worked out a great route along the Torrens Linear Park, and my temper improved immensely once I was back in the bike saddle. Gosh, I'd missed riding. I also discovered the ride up "Old Norton Summit Road" to the Scenic Hotel. It's a steep winding road, giving a view of Morialta Conservation Park, some vineyards, a cherry orchard, and the chance to be attacked by nesting magpies.

I rode up there last Sunday. "Maggie" ignored me on the slog up, but I felt the tell tale feathery flutter, sort of little dancing bird feet touching me on my left shoulder as I was rocketing down the winding mountain road. This is a rite of spring cycling around here. I didn't need a helmet embellished with plastic spikes, or even a set of printed human eyes from a "Swoop Off Kit" [http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/plants-and-animals/native-plants-and-animals/problem-wildlife/swooping-birds/swoop-off-kit]

You can't make this stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment