Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ride to Work Day in Adelaide

Yesterday I attended a free breakfast for cyclists happened in Victoria Square, in central Adelaide. I found it ironic that for me, at least, it was, "don't ride to work" day.

There were free bananas, scones and juice, also a silly "ride as slow as you can" event mc'd by the local public radio station. The mayor was there, announcing big plans for more bike infrastructure to come to the city. The local radio commentators in general are non-cyclists, and went off topic fast, asking the various politicans who showed up about completely non-bike related topics, including asking someone's opinion of gay marriage. What relevance that had here, is anyone's guess. I heard the interview later, when I was back home. Made me scratch my head in wonderment.

Later I rode my bike in the Central Business District, and had to scream "heads up" at a woman inching her car forward out of downtown car park, heading straight at me. Just the typically blind motorist you find here. There still is a climate of disrespect "roads are for cars" type thinking here, making it difficult for cyclists. In turn, cyclists here take a number of risks that threaten their own lives, and don't help motorists get on board. Very few announce themselves as they ride past you on a bike trail. There's a lot of ground to cover here if the city is to become, in the mayor's words, the most bike friendly city in the country.

BikeSA is working on a number of good programmes to make the roads more multi modal. Good luck to them. Were I staying here, I'd have gotten involved, but my path lies in a different direction.

I am packing my bike for shipment north later today. If I pack it myself, it's much much cheaper than paying for the shipper to do it for me. They wanted a minimum of $180 for the privilege, and wouldn't let me put the tools, helmets, bags, etc in the box with the bike. With the other belongings I'm sending to Queensland, that would have meant a lot more expense.

Starting Sunday, I'm traveling to the Top End (Darwin) via one of the most famous trains in the world: The Ghan. I'm here, I have time, so I'm giving it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment