Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Preparing for another shot at riding in New Zealand

Earlier this year I rode my beautifully designed but under-geared Brompton folding bicycle in various parts of New Zealand (both islands).

This coming January, I'm going back, North Island only (for now), with my Trek 520 touring bike. I've paid for 40kg of luggage allowance on JetStar (the maximum I could buy), so, with the boxed bike weighing currently about 27kg, I'm going to get busy downsizing, again. Maybe store excess gear at the YHA in Auckland.
Earlier this year, I found the roads in New Zealand to be mighty tough on little wheels. This time, I have my roadie tires, and all the ashphalt embedded in the tread from my Sept 2010 ride in Arizona is long gone.

I'm also packing along Peddler's Paradise. Plans are for Northland, and maybe a trip over to Hawkes Bay. Don't think I have time to re-do the 360 of Taranaki, but we'll see.

I'm outta shape, my shoulder still hurts, despite hydrodilitation, and endless wasted dollars on PT, but it doesn't matter.

Being "on the road" again is all that matters, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment