Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Auckland to points south

I arrived in Auckland on New Year's Day. The city is very quiet, as Aucklanders take their extended Xmas holidays at this time. Most stores don't reopen until Jan 9.

No success in buying a handlebar mirror, as I guess all the local cyclists got one in their Xmas stockings. I'm also trying to find a DOC [Dept of Conservation] survival bag, a thick bright yellow plastic bag that I hope will serve me in case I need to do "desperation camping." I don't have a tent with me, and rain is forecast for the next couple of weeks.

I've done a shake out ride on Waiheke Island, about 35 mins by ferry from the CBD. It re-introduced me to the hills of NZ.

The YHA Auckland International has been home for a few days, and will hold my cardboard bike box until I show up again,in about 7 weeks. I've left the bike at Planet Bike on Dominion Road for a quick mechanic check. I've reassembled it, but I want someone experienced to double check, before I head out on a major tour.

I feel out of shape, and a bit anxious. Already had to deal with a carload of halfwits on Waiheke, who sprayed me with their softdrink as they drove past. It's a warning. Only takes the occasional fool like this to challenge my normally positive feelings about kiwis.

However, the anxiety is temporary. Nothing will prevent me from riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment