Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

One week on the road: Auckland to Rotorua

It's 7am, sky is clearing after heavy downpour overnight in Rotorua. Since starting my trip, the weather has been challenging. Hot muggy days, followed by socked in weather, rain, heavy at times. Not the best for riding.

Took lots of time to figure a way out of Auckland. On the "Seabird Coast" lovely coastal riding, but no views of the Firth of Thames. Shared the road with a "Cannonball Run", a motor rally which meant I had fast cars, and people driving fast coming from behind all day. In rainy conditions, with a fully loaded bike, this is not much fun.

Headwinds near Miranda meant I stopped early at the only place I could find: Miranda Hot Springs Motor Camp. Nothing like staying at a hot springs resort in a downpour.

Riding to Thames was less than 30km, but the ride on a "now you see it, now you don't" shoulderless highway, along with rained out holiday makers heading back to Auckland, again, a real handle bar gripper.

Thames to Coromandel Town was simply superb. Rain cleared off, brilliant views. A couple of challenging hills followed by descents that were a bit scary.

A day in Coromandel, and a ride out to Colville. Gorgeous views, more beastly hills, and, rather than get back after dark, I hitch hiked, bike and all, with a friendly dairy farmer.

Given the difficult weather, the difficult terrain, the difficult traffic with too many "boy racers" taking blind corners with no room for error, I've chosen to adapt my trip. The Bay of Plenty, my original destination, is getting all the weather, and a local cyclist was killed on the highway this week, in what the newspaper report euphemisitically described as: "driver behavior and speed being investigated."

Tell me about it.

You can't change other people's behaviour, no matter how much you'd like to. Instead, all you can do is reduce your own risk factors, and ride smart. I bought a 15 hour bus pass on Intercity Coaches, and rode here. I plan to trim down my load, store gear at the YHA, then head back to Tauranga and East Cape. I've got too much gear for the riding, and it's beyond dangerous to be top heavy on these steep roads.

Not all bad, though. Met Michele, young Italian guy who's riding both islands. After "arrivaderci" in Thames, I met him downtown in Rotorua yesterday. Our conversations seem to center on hill experiences.

I made a tour of Rotorua's 8 bike stores (no kidding) finally finding a suitable handlebar mirror to use. Everyone here talks about mountain biking, mountain biking, mountain biking. They also tell me that cyclists get no respect on NZ roads, that's why everything's heading to the relative 'safety' of the single track.

Still, in addition to Michele, there are at least 3 other cycle travellers riding the same route I'm taking. Heading to Coromandel is the preferred route.

No comments:

Post a Comment