Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Friday, July 31, 2015

Last minute to Lopez Island

First time I've tried this. No time to reserve anything in the San Juans, as it's peak season and it's been a fantastic hot summer this year. So, yesterday I called San Juan County parks to see how walk-in biker camping works at Odlin County Park. This is what I get for being tolerant of riding on the ferry with a backpack. $8 a night. I'm glad I did this. I just rode into Lopez Village and made a dinner reservation at The Bay, an upscale waterfront place I've known for years but never tried. Usually reserved camping on Lopez is about $26/night, when all the "convenience" fees are added. So I reckon I can afford a nice dinner with a glad of wine and aim to be tucked up in my tent by 9pm dark.
I didn't think I'd make it to this bicycling heaven this year, given how unexpectedly and cruelly wretched my life has been since I returned from China in late January. But this place is salve for my broken spirit. May the good moments soon outweigh the bad more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment