Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Friday, July 10, 2015

Off the Centennial Trail in Arlington

It's been about 4 years since I ridden to the end of the rail trail that starts in Snohomish. It's much improved at the north end from the first time I rode here. Back then the trail petered out into a horrible mess of rail, junk and stone yards. Now one of the old garages is a sort of "Route 66 themed" restaurant, like the one you see in places like Arizona.
I stopped for an iced coffee and sat at a picnic table, watching a biplane from Arlington airport do loops overhead. There's an art walk and fly-in air show this weekend apparently.
A fun thing to find. I needed to go riding today as I've done no riding all week on account of my very packed teaching schedule. But by last night I knew I needed to skip the endless lesson adjustments and roster paperwork I've had to do all week, on account of "open enrollment" which means I have new students every class for the first 2 weeks of an 8-week session. I see that teaching ESL in the summer is crazy making.
If I'm teaching next year I think I'll skip the summer session altogether. I'm not really enjoying it. Plus I see that life is too short to put up with these sorts of classroom hassles.
Years ago, I'd never have said this. But my days of adapting to impossible demands are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment