Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Friday, March 25, 2016

I Misteri procession in Trapani

Today is Good Friday, and I took a bus from Palermo, 14 Euro and change, return, for a 2 hour bus ride for an extraordinary parade that snaked around the center of town from the Church of Purgatory, to somewhere I couldn't quite figure out. Each Station of the Cross was carried by a bunch of guys in their Armani suits, with arms wrapped around each other to support something that's obviously very heavy. They march with in a hypnotic rhythm of slow steps, accompanied by a full brass band playing melodic dirges. It took 2 hours for 5 of these to pass, so I had to call it quits and sit down in a cafe with a shot of espresso.
Not like any Good Friday I've ever seen before. Worth the bus ride along the edge of the Marsala wine region. It's green and the sun was out. A great day trip from grubby and confusing Palermo.

No comments:

Post a Comment