Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Thoughts on Chilly Hilly

I've been riding the route for 2 decades but the actual February ride as a day of volunteer and now as an Outrider. It's a tough ride, with the challenge of weather and my inability to ride up the hills seated. Well, buggering my knee in NZ 10 years ago this week started that. I've adapted with good grace generally and I mostly succeed in not feeling a failure when surrounded by all the stronger, generally younger riders, but some times it gets me down. Lovely sound views and big spreads, but I should return In sunnier warmer weather to visit my favorite places. The ferry ride is nice as are the occasional conversations with other riders, like the Bellingham couple. I was riding my heavier safer bike the 520, so it was more effort. Those ebikes look appealing. I should test ride somehow.
An organized ride like this has appeal. It's nice to be surrounded by such a lot of other people who share love of biking. Traffic is considerate and there are plenty of good shoulders. Maybe I can do baker hill when I return in summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment