Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bike Nelson [little book o'rides]

In between leaving Abel Tasman and going to Nelson Lakes, one evening I ventured downtown on Trafalgar Street, and struck up a conversation with an interesting looking woman, Rose, who owns The Gentle Cycling Company. She was setting up a bunch of cruiser-type bikes on the sidewalk. As an alternative to the normal testosterone-fueled approach to bike riding that permeates NZ, this company is filling a niche: full and half-day rides, complete with bike, helmet and detailed map, for those who want to tool around, rather than do a training run for the Tour de France. I particularly liked the sound of her "Brightwater Twilight Country Ride" which, in 21km, takes in historic churchyards, wineries, a pottery, a village pub, and an historic village. If I could round up 3 other cyclists, I'd do this group ride, "the art of slow travel on a bicycle" according to Rose's brochure.

Rose kindly gave me a little spiral bound book: Bike Nelson: Urban & Mountain Bike Rides, pub lished by the Nelson City Council. A week ago, I'd accidentally ridden pieces of some of these rides, when I followed the bike lanes to the waterfront. Turns out, this little civic project has produced a nice little group of rides: 6 road, 10 mountain.

Way to go, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment