Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Independent coffee houses Zumo of Nelson

As a resident of Seattle, home of Starbucks, I have a fine "nose" for independents. Here's a fine one: Zumo in one of New Zealand's lifestyle capital cities: Nelson. It's kitty corner to the YHA, where I'm not staying. It offers excellent brew, free wifi and you can bring your own food! What's not to like? I packed my bike panniers this morning with granola and my camping bowls and rode down here from The Bug where I am staying. Presently I'm inhaling the smell of freshly roasting coffee and enjoying the excellent music. I'm not alone. The place is hosting Nelson's retired, self-employed and quietly unemployed, like me.
I may stay here blog till my 'puter's battery is fully discharged. This is part of my recovery from Nelson Lakes.

Tomorrow I am heading down the East Coast, towards Kaikoura. It was greating pulling William the Conqueror out of storage at The Bug today and doing a little ride into town. It's been almost one week since I rode.

FWIW, the road from Nelson to St Arnaud's is 90km of lovely scenery, and it's steeper going up than back. I saw a couple of hardy bike tourers chugging up as I went by in the shuttle. It's possible to ride through to Murchison, thence to the West Coast. The top half of the South Island is very scenic, but if you're a bike rider, you should believe all reports about steepness and difficulty of riding those hills, fully loaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment