Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day riding from Queenstown

It's Sunday, and my last day in Adrenalin Town. Weather is better than the rain and mist of yesterday, so I headed out on Queenstown's lakefront trail to Frankton. It's a shared use dirt and rock trail, so slow going, as there are lots of pedestrians, and the rocks are tough on William's little wheels.

I was able to join a paved bike path into The Remarkables Shopping Centre, which is on one side of Queenstown International Airport. It is one of the most scenically-situated airports you could wish for. I bet pilots just love to land at this one: a long approach with huge spiky mountain ranges on both sides.

I rode out of Frankton on SH6 for a few km, then took a turn signed "historic bridge" which led to the bike/pedestrian only old Shotover River bridge. From here, I followed my nose, and the occasional signpost, looking for the Wakatipu Trail to Arrowtown. I had to walk a couple of huge hills, but it was a lovely back route, off the busy highway to Cromwell and Wanaka, and the scenery, was, as to be expected, extraordinary. Officially it's 17km to ride from Queenstown to Arrowtown by this route. I did a lot more bonus km, as I got lost here and there.

In Arrowtown, an old gold mining town that's now a row of tourist boutiques, I had a great lunch at a nice artisan bakery, where they really did make artisan bread like promised on the shingle hanging outside. Arrowtown lies alongside a river, with tall mountains all around. Lots of interesting trails out of here, to ghost towns back in the hills.

Turns out, the Connectabus was just loading at Arrowtown for the ride back to Queenstown. I rode up to the bus door, jumped off William, did my sleight of hand fold up trick "dah dah!" in front of the curious bus driver and fellow passengers, and got on board. The bus doesn't allow bikes, but, as the driver said, in this case, it doesn't apply. Bus ride cost $8, with a change in Frankton.

It's starting to spit with rain finally, so I think I got lucky.

Today's Sunday jaunt is exactly what William is designed for. A tool around in the country, then a ride back to the start via public transport.

Tomorrow, we're off to Te Anau on the 7am InterCity bus. I'm watching the weather. If it breaks and fines up, a trip to Milford Sound is on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment