Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

British Museum
























  1. Norman Foster's spectacular Great Court 2000 renovation of the British Museum.
  2. The Parthenon sculptures, AKA Elgin Marbles in their ethereal display.
  3. One of many completely superb Assyrian reliefs from Nineveh. Way cool hair and beard styling.
  4. A little something I picked up from a trinket seller outside on Great Russell Street.
[Yeah, if I happened to be a Mesopotamian princess from Ur.]

As a teenager, I loved ancient history, so the BM is a geek's dream. Today I only managed to get through Neolithic treasures, Ancient Near East, Classical Greece and Imperial Rome, with a passing glance at prehistoric and Anglo Saxon Britain, e.g., the Sutton Hoo ship's burial. I've actually left the Egyptian collection and the Rosetta Stone for a return visit.

The BM doesn't charge an entrance fee. All it cost me today was a return trip to Tottenham Ct Road by Tube. If you want a map, you buy one for £2. The place was mobbed by EU high schoolers on educational trips. Also, the floor plan is a bit of a challenge, so you find yourself going around and around and around. At least I did. They have a pretty good cafe inside as well, so I didn't starve and I didn't need to leave until closing time.

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment