Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Sunday, May 2, 2010





This weekend I've laid out gear and done a test load on the bike. I pack on the theory of "wear one, have one spare, one in the wash." Shoes are heavy, so I will take shower flip flops, and one pair of light hiking shoes. No plan to wear cleated bike shoes in the museums and churches along the way. I use freezer bags to segregate my stuff: a backpacking trick. My panniers are single compartment, so everything goes in. The clear bags help control the chaos. I want to distribute the weight evenly in 4 panniers: 2 front, 2 back.

As this is a self-supported tour, I have to pack bike tools. I'm no bike mechanic, so I'm pretty slow at taking things apart and putting them back together. If I've used a tool to disassemble the bike, I take it. I still need to reduce the choices though, as they weigh a lot.

I've also test loaded the bike and done a ride around the block. The ride certainly takes getting used to. Keep a firm grip on the handlebars and do everything in a s-l-o-w and deliberate way. Otherwise the bike wobbles crazily and scares the living daylights out of you. I also have to cinch down all the straps and ties, otherwise they'll get stuck in the wheel and I'll wreck. After the test ride, I weighed the gear. According to my bathroom scales, my stuffed-to-the-gills panniers and the tent weigh 41 lbs. The bike itself, with racks and a front fender, easily weighs 20+ lbs. And then there's the question of the weight of the rider! I'm a rolling barge! I've only got until this Thursday to figure it out. Nothing like having a deadline.

Tomorrow I disassemble the bike and box it. I already have a free recycled cardboard box from REI. Taking off the pedals and the stem is tough. I did a trial run last week, and got stymied on using the hex wrenches on these parts. I need to practice it again, and again, so I feel more confident.



No comments:

Post a Comment