Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Last week, Scott McCartney's WSJ Middle Seat column ["Math Behind New Baggage Fee"] noted this gem: “Baggage fees alone tallied $2 billion for airlines in the first nine months of 2009, the latest data available, according to the federal Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Bag-fee revenue was up more than 205% compared to the same period of 2008, the year airlines began charging for first and second bag.”

Over the past 4 years, I've done a lot of domestic business flying, and was used to living out of my carry on bag. It's the wild west out there as US airlines keep upping the ante on their checked baggage fees. Because I'm flying Delta to London, I'm stuck. Although my flight is a code share flight with KLM, I get to pay Delta $200 each way to transport my bike as "sports equipment". Had I been able to check my bike as baggage with KLM, it would only cost $55. Delta's fees have actually made my air ticket 50% more expensive. I wish I'd known this before I hit the "BUY" button. Expedia doesn't yet have a widget to allow you to sort flights by their baggage policies. It should.

It's a pity Delta isn't as bike friendly as their code share partner KLM. Cha-ching!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    Nice blog!

    ~S.W. from Raleigh-Durham

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference between a US based carrier and a European one! Gotta love the Dutch airlines :)

    ReplyDelete