Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Thursday, January 6, 2011


Here is the view of Wineglass Bay,that you get if you hike the Peninsula Walk. Generally, all tourism photos of Wineglass are taken from Mt Amos (the tabletop mountain across the bay).
This approach is much tougher, and much lovelier. From this level, you are in a distinctive high and dry mountainous ecosystem. The flowers are in full bloom among the granite boulders.
I found the hike a bit rugged, and had a near miss, when I slipped during the descent on one of the boulders, skinning my left leg, and twisting my right ankle. Luckily neither was as bad as it could have been. I did curse loudly and energetically, however, as the last thing I needed up here was to be airlifted out.
I recommend that the National Park people think about assigning a few $ to trail maintenance up here. I don't buy into the philosophy that you have to leave trails really rough to provide a "wilderness" experience for hikers.
It's a great hike and a lovely example of Tasmanian scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment