Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tongariro Alpine Crossing

View of the crossing of South Crater
Great weather on Tuesday for the 19km crossing. I took the earliest shuttle (5:30am) from Riverstone Backpackers in Turangi, and was on the trail by 6:30am. Lots of wind in the Mangatepopo Valley, and alternating cold/brisk weather with brilliant sunshine. In 2003, I'd made it to the high point on the right. I was here in November, which meant the marker poles had 6 inch long icicles standing out horizontally. A lot warmer this time.
Reached the exit by 3:30pm, after spending lots of time taking photos, and enjoying a trip and fall about 100m from the exit, where I skinned my knee and started to bleed through my torn hiking pants. Nice one, Cathy. Looks like I need to visit the Kathmandu outfitting store in the next big town for a replacement.
This hike is billed as "life changing," "best one-day trek in New Zealand" and other equally hyperbolic statements. Actually, it's a great hike, taking you through at least 4 ecosystems, including a rain forest for the last 3km. Volcanoes are pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment