Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Monday, January 3, 2011

Riding to Freycinet National Park

No, I'm not riding it. The A3 from Hobart to one of Tasmania's signature national parks is narrow, hilly, shoulderless, and extremely dangerous. There are signs here that show a cartoon car hitting a cartoon kangaroo, and the warning "Dawn to Dusk" underneath. There's lots of road kill here, as so much of the fauna is nocturnal, so hit by cars all the time: wallabies, possums, bandicoots, the occasional bird. I did see some hearty touring cyclists coming the opposite way as I drove to Freycinet, but they were lightly loaded (no tents). Looks like if you're sensible, you stay in B&Bs.



However, in Freycinet, I did see a large group of loaded tourers braving the road into the park. They were supported by a couple of sedans, so I think it was a club ride. The shoulder on this road was nonexistent, so I couldn't easily pull over and chat.



I've just finished a 2 night/3 day hike on the Peninsula Great Walk in Freycinet. Pretty tough in places, as trail maintenance appears to be a foreign concept to the parks people. But worthwhile. Photos and a report to come when I have better internet and more time.



Today heading to Launceston.

No comments:

Post a Comment