Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sea Kayaking next to Abel Tasman NP and Ridge Top Tramping in Nelson Lakes NP



Enjoying the "balmy" weather on the Robert Ridge Route to Angelus Hut in Nelson Lakes NP. The 60km/hr wind gusts only added to the experience. At the hut I'm sure I saw this guy in a white robe, holding a strange looking walking stick, and wearing pointy hat.










This is an example of a kiwi past-time: bridge-jumping. The bridge is 12m above the tidal inlet to Falls River in Abel Tasman NP. The sound of the guy's belly hitting the water could be heard back in Totaranui. Brought to you by the folks who commercialized bungy jumping.

Below: This brown chicken-ish bird near the tent is a weka. I like to think it nicked my reading glasses. Better story than me simply dropping them somewhere on the beach and losing them in the high tide overnight.









I've been busy doing, and haven't had time to write about anything for a while. I spent 3 perfect hot days doing a guided sea kayak tour of the marine park off Abel Tasman NP. This is a wonderful way to experience the park. The kayaking is lovely but quite tame. I have the benefit of having kayaked before, in both the San Juan and Gulf Islands, off Vancouver, so I'm a bit spoiled. While the kayaking was tame, (more open ocean, fewer islands to explore), you can't beat the weather, a place where you can actually fall out of the boat if you want, and not die of hypothermia. Plus that beautiful Tasman blue green water!

Later, I booked a shuttle ($35 each way) to St Arnauds, to do 2 days' tramping in Nelson Lakes. True to form, Nelson Lakes laid on the full alpine experience. High winds, with 60km/hr gusts and bare exposed ridgetop hiking to a great 21 bed hut: Angelus alongside a glacial tarn. The icy rain, mist and storm clouds only added to the experience. Day 2 involved a dangerous descent on loose rocks to Lake Rotoiti, for more spectacular scenery and tough hiking. Day 3 was a hike out in the mist and rain along the lake shore. I hitchhiked from the road, so didn't have to do the last sodden 4km. I then sat dripping in the Alpine Lodge cafe, inhaling cappuccinos.
Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment