Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

At the Stammhaus Zum Augustine in Munich

Although my new hostel is close to the big outdoor Augustiner beer garden, it looks particularly awful today in the drizzly and cloudy cold weather. So I ordered something here called the Allgauer Alm Platter with butcher's ravioli and some sort of stuffed meatballs, all smothered in creamed mushroom sauce and an enormous serving of Swabian noodles which seem to be egg flavoured gnocchi. Also ordered something called ein schnitt of this month's special light "helles" beer.
The meatballs were OK, I didn't care for the "mystery meat" nature of the ravioli. There were nice forest mushrooms ppin the sauce, and I ate about a quarter of the noodles. The beer is very nice, basically what I'd call a schooner of beer with a full head of froth. The meal itself is pretty much what I expected. That's it for culinary adventuring in Bavaria. Now I need to see what the immigrant food is like.
Well, it's a miserable day to arrive in Munich. My prepaid youth hostel for the next 2 nights isn't as nice as the one in Nurnberg, but I'm dealing with it.
The beer hall I'm having an early dinner in is extremely noisy but must be fun with a large group on a sunny day. But I'm here alone with a mild case of solo traveler blues.

I finished the meal with a shot of espresso to wake me up enough for the long cold walk back through Karlplatz and back past the Bahnhof. It isn't all lost. I managed to get a room at the Euro Youth Hotel for my 3rd night planned for Munich, so i can leave the disappointing one after 2nd night. I were at home i'd cancel ask for a refund. i could, as i charged it on my visa card, but i'm through with fighting today. The desk staff at the bad hostel are nice and doing their very best. But I won't risk this hostel chain again. God help them if they email me an evaluation form.
Apparently my dorm at Euro Youth is above the bar and I can expect 3 live bands on Friday night. That's OK. I travel with ear plugs and an eye mask as a matter of course. I can handle drunken shouting.
Tomorrow is some sort of religious holiday restricted to Munich. Most shops will be shut but according to the TI the major museums and restaurants are open. Just in case I bought ham and various cold vegetables at the REWE supermarket across from the train station.
My plan to take extra bread rolls from tomorrow's 6,00 breakfast and make myself a picnic lunch after i ride somewhere. A bike ride is always a depression lifter. Even on a wet day. Regarding my German accomodation so far, I find the typical hostel breakfast spread good for fresh rolls but the micro thin cold cuts are barely worth eating. But what really sticks in my craw are the kitchen gatekeepers who try to intimidate you into not eating too much. I'm too old to be intimidated by this and I quietly create my lunch from the breakfast spread. This is cheapskate nonsense. I'm paying plenty to share a dorm room with up to 6 strangers, so i intend to take as many rolls at breakfast as i care to. It's insulting to visitors whose Euros are working their way through the local economy. There are plenty enough obese people in Germany, so if it's an attempt to stop the scourge of overeating in this area, it's a total bust.

I ate one of the Bavarian pretzels in the photo. Again not to my taste but very nice looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment