Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Paulskirche in cold and rainy Frankfurt

Two things you can count on with Starbucks outside the USA: prime location and free wifi.

I went riding on Wm the Conqueror this morning, after sharing a cafeteria style breakfast with a large group of German high school students staying at the youth hostel while on an educational trip. The weather was dry if cloudy at 10am. By 1 pm it turned to winter worthy rain. Of course I chose to leave my rain pants along with my luggage at the hostel, planning to pick it up later when I move to hostel #2 tonight. Can't stay put as there isn't a room for Thu night.

I discovered it's very easy to ride in the wrong direction on the winding strasse and gasse of Frankfurt. You can cover a lot more ground by bike than on foot, which is both a good and a bad thing today.

I've seen quite a lot of the leafier suburbs of town and gotten soaked for good measure. Stopped for spargel suppe in a bakery. It's white asparagus time here and all the restaurants are serving spargel this and spargel that.

Also took a look around "Bankfurt" seeing the "penguins" (financial office workers in their b&w suits, and piggy banks filled with chocolates wrapped as Euro notes in the gift shops of the city. I skipped the candy and instead bought a decent bike pump from a high end bike shop opposite the European Central Bank. Cost a few Euros more than it would at home but too bad. Need it gotta buy it.

I'm waiting out the rain sitting with a bunch of Chinese tourists at Starbucks before making a dash across town to shuttle my luggage to the new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment