Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Friday, May 31, 2013

Riding your Bike in Munich

The weather's awful but I can see this town is great for riding: divided pedestrian/bike walkways, a beer garden on every corner.
I rode from crappy hostel to nice hostel this morning, dressed in full on Seattle rain gear, over Hackebrucker bridge and a left on Bayerrische Strasse, yelling "Actung!" At any tourist blocking the bike lane with a suitcase, startling the locals by my "Bitte, ich bin auf Ihren Links", likely a ridiculously ungrammatical transliteration of "on yet left!" and telling an errant person who just ticked me off, "get out of the bike lane buddy!"
Whee hee! What an empowering experience. Now if you ride in the road with the cars it's fast and close, which is unnerving. And Munich had cute trams with scary when wet tram tracks snaking this way and that.
I hope it stops raining next Monday when I'll be back in Munich for night between Fussen and Salzburg. I'd like to ride the route along the river Izar, where I understand people surf. Now, coming as I do from the great state of Queensland Down Under, where surfing is basically, king, I really need to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment