Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Doh-Si-Doh and Promenade, anyone?

It seems that the big exercise craze in China, starting about 2 years ago, according to my English class, is square dancing. I've had a front row seat since I got here in September, as there is a square outside my bedroom window. At times I prayed for it to rain, as that's the only way you can get a respite from the "ear worm" pop music blasted from all over. It's about as far from twangy US country music and bouffant floral skirts as you can get. However, now it's colder, the dancing isn't quite so irritating, because the sound track has been changed, at least here on the plaza outside the Tongling Botanic Garden. Back in Golden Week I saw a Chinese "Richard Simmons" really rocking it out with some Chinese inflected hip hop. I keep looking for him, but I guess it was a one off. Still, if they can bring him back, there'll be a lot more young women and bashful men joining in this social exercise event.

No comments:

Post a Comment