Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Monday, July 8, 2013

A Londres! En y va!

Flat countryside of fields of wheat, potatoes and cabbages whipping by, a polyglot babble in the 2nd class carriage dining car, then, suddenly, blackout. I love fast trains.
In less than an hour or so, I'll be in "Blighty" where 33 years ago yesterday, my daughter was born in London, and a city that is very special in so many ways.
I'm visiting an old friend from the days when our daughters were toddlers. My friend's retiring from a long teaching career at the end of this week, and lucky woman, she'll be a grandmother early next year.
So many bittersweet memories ahead.I actually bought William from Brompton dealer near London Bridge, 3 years ago, almost to the day. I was celebrating my newfound freedom from a job that had lost its zing, and reveling in my first big solo trip as a woman on her bike. Sad I'm not bringing him back for a ride in London. I had my severance money back then and I used a big chunk of it to buy the folding bike.
Still, I'm back.
"Failure is the tuition you pay for success."
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
And my dad's favorite:
"Don't let the b*****ds get you down."

No comments:

Post a Comment