Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Monday, July 1, 2013

How's this for a color scheme?

I have to hand it to the French, such a sunnier color scheme compared to the serious navy and tomato red of Deutsche Bahn.
The TER baby trains are more like streetcars, with only 3 or 4 carriages and the jaunty rainbow painted diagonally on the train.
This is the interior of carriage 5 of the TGV 11:03a departure from Strasbourg for Marseille. It's a beautiful day, and I had a nice view of the "ballons" of the Vosges whipping by on the first leg, a grand vitesse, to Colmar. I briefly saw the small part of the wine route I rode yesterday as I could see the Chateau de Sainte Odile, above the red sandstone mine where all the building materials for Strasbourg and surrounding towns and churches was mined. Even the bike path is paved in a pink color from the crushed local stone.
Of course, this being France, they took forever to announce the platform, and in the 15 minutes we had to board, I ended up taking a fully loaded Wm on the escalator, as the elevator was nowhere close. It's at the end of the furthest platform and I don't recall any signage pointing the way. Now in Germany I saw lots of cyclists doing this, but I was too scared to try it with a full load. Still maybe a German engineered this escalator as I made it, with just a bit of a tweak in my right knee. Funny how when you're stressed you always reinjure your weak spot. Anyway, once on board I realized I'd not endorsed my ticket in the yellow machine, and, of course, this being France, I had to sprint down a flight of stairs to the subterranean walkway to do it. In Germany, naturally, I'm pretty sure they'd put the damned yellow boxes on the platform, where you need them. Actually I found Strasbourg Central pretty handicap-accessible for a French station. There were still stupid double flights of steps in the small stations, like Molsheim, which would have forced me to unload the bike and make several trips, but lucky for menu was only doing day rides, so I could just carry the bike up and down. Like so many things you learn by traveling, you can create a perfect solution by blending one country's system with another, but when will you ever have that opportunity? Too many wars have been justified by just this sort of Utopianism, here particularly in Alsace, where people ping ponged nationalities 4 times from the 1860s to 1947. No wonder it seems a bit strange here, German mixed with French in the architecture, the food and naturally the language. It's a curious place to visit.

I've decided to wing it and go to Annency, in the Alps, instead of central Burgundy. I think there may be more for me to do and see for the next 4 days.
That's what waking to a sunny day does to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment