Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Comparative Research

Because I visit Australia and New Zealand frequently, I'm well aware of the special place it holds in the German imagination.
These books, from Reise Know-How, from Bielefeld, have a ready market in the hundreds of recent German college grads who dream of working in marketing on the Gold Coast while perfecting their surfing technique, and end up working as a housekeeper in a pub a thousand kilometers inland from Tom Price or the Pilbara in Western Australia.
But that's the nature of armchair travel books isn't it?
I'm familiar with the one about riding in New Zealand. I think it's copyrighted 2001, and believe me, I know Nigel Rushton, the actual author of the text and maps in this translation, keeps his self published work: Pedaller's Paradise much more up to date than this one.
But cycling New Zealand is on every German's bucket list as is a hike on Jakobsweg to Santiago in the Pyrenees, for which I have seen hundreds of titles this summer during wandering in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment