Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kauderwelsch Sprechfuhrer

I really don't know what the first word means, but I get that "Sprechfuhrer" means "master of speaking".
I had a good laugh when comparing the total pages for mastering Australian slang in these 2 books as 250 pages, whereas to master North American slang you need only 208 pages, at least according to this imprint.
I also had to roll my eyes at the double meaning of the billboard attached to that Australian bus that graces the cover of "Englisch fur Australien"
I've had several fellow travellers in Australia speak to me with sheer relief when I tell them that, while a native-borne Australian, I speak clear "English teacher English", saving the local dialect only for conversations with old friends from high school and my close family. But 250 words would have been inadequate when translating conversations with my late father. He spoke Australian English so fluently, a Welshman or Breton would have modded in approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment