Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Vive la France!

I just checked with the nice woman in the Deutsche Bahn Travel Center here in n
Baden Baden, about my plans to go to France tomorrow. Apparently I can use my DB rail pass and pay only for the bit when I cross the border into France.
As today was a "make it up as I go along" day, I spent a good hour in Basel's Bider & Tanner bookshop ogling the entire top floor devoted to"Reisen" books. I guess I must be German at heart, because that is what I like to do.
Beginning tomorrow I'll be to slip into my terrible French, where I still feel a little more at home than my atrocious command of German.
I automatically reached for the Michelin maps and guides in the "Frankreich" section. This is a nice one, but not useful for my next week. Only reaches into close-in parts of the Loire, and I rode there 3 years ago, so know how to do it without a book.
Depending on the weather, I will pick up the appropriate scale Michelin map at a papeterie in Strasbourg tomorrow, and create my own "balades" by bike. "Balade" is my favourite French word, meaning "toodle along on your bike" which is my only plan for Alsace and Borgogne.

No comments:

Post a Comment