Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Isa Khan's tomb [Lodi era C16th]

Delhi has an over abundance of mausoleums. This one is on the way into Humayun's tomb complex. Isa Khan was no friend to Humayun. In fact he wasn't a Mughal, and he was an enemy. The only reason both tombs are connected is that the Indian Archaeological Service took out part of the wall surrounding Humayun's complex to make a combination attraction. The reason his tomb is here is because of proximity to Hazrat Nizam-ud-din Dargah, the shrine of a Sufi saint who died in 1325. I thought I'd try to visit the shrine on the way to the closest metro, JLN Stadium, but gave up when I couldn't cross the traffic circle at the entrance to Humayun's Tomb. I almost laughed when I walked towards a marked pedestrian crossing that led to a raised garden bed/traffic island. When I got close enough I saw that there was a locked gate in the traffic island. WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment